It was the Rolling Stones who said “You can’t always get what you want…” I don’t completely agree with that. However, I do agree that you can’t get what you don’t know you want. Do you know what you want?
A few years ago, I wrote two words on the top of a piece of paper… I WANT. I then sat there for 2 hours and listed everything I wanted to be, do, or have.
Here’s part of my list:
- To run a ½ marathon (August 2010 – thank you, Teri!)
- To be on the Amazing Race
- To take my kids to the Grand Canyon (October 2012)
- To sky dive
- To write 2 books
- My kids to grow up respecting themselves and others
- To have Date Night once a month
- To say I Love You and hug my kids every day
- My kids to believe in themselves and their dreams
- To see the Eiffel Tower in person
- To visit all 50 states by the time I’m 65
- To get scuba certified
- To climb Diamondhead in Hawaii (March 2010)
- To be a more intentional mom
- To ride my motorcycle on Hwy 1
- To lead a life to be followed
- To direct a choir singing Blessed be the Name of the Lord
I’ve accomplished many of the items on my list and many are a work in progress. Still, there are other items that I’ll cross off my list since I’m no longer in that season of my life. It’s not an all-encompassing list but I’m adding to it and I love it when my list inspires me to be or do something!
So yes, Mr. Jagger, you can’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.
So… what do you want? Take out a piece of paper and simply start with I WANT on the top! Leave a quick comment here with one thing you want…